Sunday, March 5, 2023

Analyzing the analysis

Writing Discussion

    Ever since I can remember, I have always struggled with the why portion of writing. For example, "why did that scene play out like that" or "why did the director use that shot"? I would either skip over the question entirely or write out a paragraph that was tangentially connected to the main question. So, while writing this analysis for the documentary project, I wanted to convey not only the specific reason of why the scene is playing out like that but also the emotion of the scene. 

    When I analyze a scene, I first like to start with what the scene is about. From there, I then pull out the shots and angles that heighten the emotion, logic or ethics that the director is trying to portray. Also known as pathos, ethos and logos. Normally, with what emotions the director is showing, you can gage what their stance is on the specifics in the scene. For example, if frustration is a key emotion in the scene, the director might give us a fraught battle with authority or something that was preventable that ended up happening. Of course the prefect scene blends all three and I would be here all day talking about all three (pathos, ethos and logos). 


 

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Jack! I agree that the why portion of writing is tricky sometimes. It takes a lot of deep thought, which depending on the topic can be difficult. I like how you related using Ethos, Pathos, and Logos to help with writing about the why. I'm curious though, what is the image you included of and how come you chose that image?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deep thought is what college is all about, and you have tremendous critical thinking skills, Jack!

    ReplyDelete

Writing Discussion

 Finding Inspiration     There is something so frustrating about sitting down in front of a piece of paper and...nothing. There is not a sin...